Skip Navigation
The Ohio State University
The Ohio State University
Professional Admissions
Frequently Asked Questions
Text Only
Professional Programs
Dental Hygiene
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
Public Health
Veterinary Medicine
Before You Apply After You Apply After You Are Admitted
After You Are Admitted
Search Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions Application Status Contact Us
Index for Additional Links
Recruitment Calendar
Contact page holder left prof

(Some of the links referenced in the answers are to files in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format. If you do not have an Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, please download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. Remember to select the correct version for your computer (Windows, Macintosh, etc.). Make a note of the path and directory where you save the file.)

Accept/Decline Admission
How do I accept admission?
Included with your admit letter, you will find the "Admissions Requirements and Policies". The "Admissions Requirements and Policies" includes information on acceptance fee and deposit (if your program requires one), as well as general information pertaining to your program. Instructions will be included on how to accept or decline the admission offer. Some programs require that you send in a form, while others allow you to pay acceptance fees online at using your Ohio State username and password.
If you have questions about the process or need clarification, please contact Graduate and Professional Admissions Office at (614) 292-9444 or by email at

My admission request was not approved. Who do I contact to get information about my case?
If you have received a letter denying your admission and you would like to learn more about your case, contact the Professional Program to which you applied. Since the programs make decisions, they usually offer consultation appointments.

The Acceptance Fee Statement came too late to return to OSU on time. Is my admission cancelled?
Applicants should confirm their plans to accept the admission offer with the program if they know they will miss the deadline.

What does it mean to be provisionally admitted?
Many students are admitted to Ohio State with the stipulation that final official transcripts must be received by the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office before the first day of class in the first quarter of enrollment. If you have been admitted provisionally, you applied to Ohio State before you completed your studies at your previous institution. Your admission status will remain provisional until we receive an official final transcript from every previous institution which you attended. Failure to submit the documents may affect your ability to register for classes.

Return to top of page

Arrival Information
How can I arrange airport pick-up?
The International Students and Scholars Office, offers advice on how to arrange transportation to campus from the airport.

What are some hotels in the OSU area?
For a list of nearby hotels, please check the following website:

What should I do when I arrive on campus? (For international students only)
International students who arrive in Columbus on a weekday between 8 am and 4 pm should first go to the Office of International Affairs: International Students and Scholars (ISS), which is located on the first floor of Oxley Hall, 1712 Neil Avenue, in Columbus. For more information, visit their website at:

When should I arrive on campus? (For international students only)
It is important to arrive on campus a couple of weeks prior to the first day of the quarter. There is much to do: check in with the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS), take placement test(s), register for classes, pay your tuition, find your way to your classrooms before the first day, buy your books, settle into your housing, open a bank account, meet other students, and become more familiar with campus and its many opportunities. See for more details.

Return to top of page

How do I apply for on-campus housing?
To apply for university housing, simply mark your interest in a residence hall on the admissions application. After you have accepted and paid your acceptance fee, you will receive more information regarding on-campus housing. For additional information, contact:

University Housing
350 Morrill Tower
1910 Cannon Drive
Columbus, OH 43210-1230
telephone: (614)292-8266
For additional information, check the website

How do I contact the Housing Office?
Housing information can be obtained by contacting the Office of Residence Life and Dining Halls at:

University Housing
350 Morrill Tower
1910 Cannon Drive
Columbus, OH 43210-1230
Tel (614) 292-8266

How do I get information about finding off-campus housing or a roommate?
The Office of Off-Campus Student Services provides services and information to OSU students who do not reside in the campus residence halls. Among other services, this office provides listings of apartments for rent on their website, as well as roommate possibilities.

Office of Off-Campus Student Services
3106 Ohio Union
1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210
Tel: (614) 292-0100
Fax: (614) 292-4786

Return to top of page

How do I get information when I have a question about immigration?
You should contact the Office of International Affairs: International Students and Scholars (ISS) as they are well suited to assist new international students. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) provides ongoing advising, programs, and assistance with immigration regulations and paperwork, social and cultural adjustment, and personal and financial concerns. You may contact OIA by phone at (614) 292-6101, e-mail:, or check their website:

How do I transfer to OSU? I have a SEVIS Form I-20 from another university.
International students who wish to transfer to OSU from another U.S. institution need to contact the Office of International Affairs for more information by email at or visit their website at

Should I bring health documents with me?
If you are an international student, it is a good idea to bring a record of your immunizations. During your orientation program at the Office of International Affairs, there is a scheduled international health screening at the Wilce Student Health Center. For more information, please contact the Office of International Affairs at: or E-mail at:

Return to top of page

Do the Professional Programs offer an orientation for professional students?
The Professional Programs generally offer an orientation a couple of days before fall classes begin. At this time, students are familiarized with their program and given an overview of the college policies, informed about the various campus-wide resources, meet faculty, and obtain student identification.
A packet of information is sent to new students during the summer. This packet includes information on scheduling for fall and orientation.

Note: Pre-professional students should attend a university orientation session and will schedule classes during orientation.

How will I register for classes?
You will obtain information about registration from your program. However, for information about offered classes, you may check the Master Schedule, which you can find on the web at:

Return to top of page

How do I establish residency in the state of Ohio?
In order for you to qualify for in-state tuition rates, you need to establish Ohio residency. For information, check the Registrar’s website at:, contact the office by e-mail:, or call at (614) 292-0300.

Return to top of page

Transfer Credit
Does OSU give credit for the CLEP examination?
OSU will award credit for acceptable scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. Credit is awarded for subject exams only. General information about CLEP can be found at
To schedule a CLEP test at Ohio State, please call (614) 292-2241. Two separate fees are collected, a $65 testing fee payable to CLEP and a $20 administration fee payable to OSU.
To obtain more information or request an application, please contact:

Testing Center
585 Student Academic Services Building
281 W. Lane Ave.
Columbus, Ohio, 43210
Tel: (614) 292-2241

If you have taken the CLEP at another institution and wish to earn examination credit through the CLEP program, you must have your official score report(s) sent to:

The Ohio State University
P.O. Box 182003
Columbus, Ohio 43218-2003

How does the Admissions Office convert semester hours to quarter hours for U.S. institutions?
Semester hours can be converted to quarter hours by multiplying the semester hours by 1.5. For example, if you took a class that was 4 semester hours, it would transfer as 6 quarter hours. Because we cannot award fractional credit hours, 3 semester hour courses will receive 4 or 5 quarter hours alternately, instead of 4.5 credit hours each.

How is transfer credit awarded?
In general, transfer credit is awarded for non-technical, non-remedial courses in which a grade of C- or higher is earned. Some courses will be evaluated as direct OSU equivalents. Other courses cannot be fully evaluated until you arrive on campus and meet with designated faculty members in the appropriate programs. Students who have taken course work at other Ohio institutions may want to use the Course Applicability System (CAS), which offers course descriptions, equivalencies, and planning guides. You may access this system by going to
Courses from an Ohio public institution taken AU05 and beyond:
If a course with a grade of D or D+ was taken at an Ohio public institution AU05 and beyond, credit can be awarded for that course. View a complete list of Ohio public institutions at

What is general credit?
General credit, designated as Gen, is awarded when a specific course equivalency is possible but cannot be readily determined. It may be desirable to have the general credit further evaluated by the designated department to determine a specific course equivalency. This action will help you avoid registering for courses that may duplicate previous coursework. For students who are admitted to Dental Hygiene, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, and Nursing a transfer credit evaluation is completed when the acceptance fee is received.

What is Special Credit?
Special credit, designated as Spl, means that OSU does not offer a course equivalent to the course you completed, but the course is recognized as being college level. Special credit may be used to fulfill degree requirements upon approval by your academic advisor in your college office. Special credit is usually used as elective hours.

What is Technical credit?
Technical credit, designated as Tech, is awarded for technical coursework that is acceptable as undergraduate credit at OSU. Like general and special credit, technical credit counts toward overall earned hours, but application of such credit toward degree programs is determined by your academic advisor in your college office. Technical credit is rarely awarded by the International Admissions Office during an initial transfer credit evaluation; it is usually the result of having deferred credit further evaluated by an academic department.

Return to top of page

Frequently Asked Questions Application Status Contact Us
Updated: 01/07/2013
Professional Admissions The Ohio State University

Admissions Contact Information

©2014 ,
Please send technical comments and questions about these web pages